Visual artists sometimes create a work based on a past work of art.
Eduard Manet created Le Déjeuner sur l'herbe (1883) based on Marcantonio Raimondi's The Judgment of Paris (c. 1488-1530).
Yasumasu Morimura created Portrait (Twins) (1988) based on Eduard Manet's Olympia (1863).
Sometimes the artist's agenda is political, satirical, or imitative, andsometimes the artist chooses this way to challenge established aesthetic values.
Choose a work of visual art, in this same spirit, that was created between 1870 and 2000, anywhere in the world, which resonates with you personally.
Write a 1,050- to 1,400-word paper discussing how you would transform this image to make a strong personal statement using one of the following contemporary visual arts media:
- Computer-based media
Include the following information about the original work of art:
- Explain the influence of new technologies (above) on the visual arts.
- The name and nationality of the artist
- The media that was used
- Title of the original art work
- The date it was created
- A full verbal description and visual analysis of the work
- The aesthetic movement it represents
- The message it was intended to communicate
Include the following:
- Describe in detail the work you would create
- How you would create it
- The media, process, and materials you would use
- What your work would look like
- The message it would communicate
- Where it would be displayed
- Who would see it
- Explain fully how the message you intend relates to the message that was intended by the original artist.
Use the following supplemental resources:
For The Judgment of Paris, see Fig. 48 in your textbook.
For Le Dejuener sur l'herbe, see Fig. 47 in your textbook
For Olympia, see Fig. 672 in your textbook
For Portrait (Twins), Fig. 721 in your textbook
Cite your references both in-text and on your reference page.
Use the University Library to find at least two credible sources to support your observations, ideas, and opinions.
All Papers MUST be accompanied by a Writepoint by Grammarly® PDF file - failure to do this results in a 1-point deduction.
Format your essay consistent with the Short Form Writing Style Guide and APA format
Submit your assignment using the Assignment Files tab above.