Team Final Paper and Presentation:
A final paper, ten to fifteen pages in length, is to be prepared by each team based upon
the following criteria:
You and your team members will select a company and secure an annual report for that
company. Based upon your review of this annual report and financial information you
will met the following criteria. If some of the data is not available to you through the
annual report you may make assumptions based upon the type of company you are
reviewing and what you have learned in this class. As we discussed in class, not all
financial information is available to the public.
1. Complete description of the company, including type of business form, products
and/or services provided, size of company, country they are based in, countries
they do business in, any other information you feel is relevant to your company.
2. Discuss the information found on financial statements including balance sheets,
income statements, statements of cash flows, and statements of owner’s equity
and describe how this accounting information is used by managers for planning
3. Use the methods learned in this class to analyze the financial statements and
utilize this accounting information to evaluate the performance of the firm,
departments, and individual managers. Please remember all of the information
might not be available and you may need to make assumptions based upon the
type of company you are reviewing and what you have learned in this class.
4. Define fixed, variable and mixed costs, determine cost behavior patterns, and
explain how these different patterns affect operating and pricing decisions. Clarify
what types of these costs your company may have.
5. Contrast job order and process costing and explain business situations in which
each would be used. Clarify what type of costing system your company probably
uses and what you based the decision on.
6. Explain different cost concepts such as full costing, variable costing, target
costing, lifecycle costing, and activity-based costing, and clarify which of these
your company is most likely to use to solve different business issues. Explain the
criteria you used to arrive that this conclusion.
7. Describe the methods your company would use to evaluate capital budgeting
projects and outline the steps and acceptance criteria.
8. Does your company use a Balanced Scorecard to make business decisions?
Please explain what areas you think they would have on their balanced
9. Does your company have any ethical issues related to managerial accounting?
You might be able to find a comment related to this in the annual report and/or by
searching your company online to see if any articles come up in relationship to
either their ethics in business practices or financial matters.
The purpose of these papers is to provide a vehicle to assess your mastery of the
materials covered with respect to the learning objectives that we have covered.
APA format should be used for all written assignments.
Each team is to also prepare a 15 – 20 minute presentation of their presentation.
Power point slides are an expected part of the presentation. Please provide each
member of the class with a handout of your presentation (one per group should suffice).
Be prepared to answer questions posed by other member of the class at the end of your
presentation. It is an expectation that each team will ask at least one question of the
Each team will critique the other teams’ presentations.
Purchase answer to see full