A Day in the Life Assignment
For this assignment students will need to shadow or do a phone interview with an event
manager/director. This assignment will be written like a journal, documenting certain things that
stuck out to you throughout the day. In the conclusion of the journal, be sure to talk about the
two biggest things a great event manager should ALWAYS do and the two biggest things an
event manager should NEVER do. Lastly, in 10 words or less, write a takeaway message from
the experience. The journal part of the assignment should be 3 pages, double spaced with 12
point font and 1 inch margins. Along with the journal are a few questions you should ask the
event manager/director; attach these questions to the back of the journal.
1. Tell us about the company: size, sector, location
2. What is your role and who do you work for?
3. What are the three most important skills you use at work?
4. What does a typical day look like for you?
5. What is the biggest challenge you have faced and how did you tackle it?
6. How have you got to where you are today in your career?
7. What are your career plans for the future?
8. What are you doing to make sure they happen? What new skills will need to learn?
9. What one key piece of advice would you have for students who want to get into this sector?
When grading this assignment I will look for 3 things:
Detailed descriptions of the event manager's daily life as well as long-term opportunities and
Your insights and analysis of this career as viable or not for you.
Quality and clarity of writing.
Creativity in choice of event manager.