Close Reading: In order to complete this close reading, you will need access to VoiceThread. Review these Voice Thread Instructions. PDF
For this assignment choose one of the spoof ad groups from AdBusters. Within each campaign, you will find numerous examples. Only choose one image to focus on.
If you access these course materials using a screen reader, one of the ads listed on this website, AdBusters.org, may be a better choice. When the page opens, there will be a large graphic, followed by text. The text describes the ad in greater detail.
Once you've found an image please upload it to VoiceThread, following the instructions listed above, and annotate it using the following questions:
- How would you frame your reaction to this argument?
- What appeal did this use (ethos, pathos, logos), and how can you tell?
- Does the author use inductive or deductive reasoning here? How can you tell?
- Depending on your choice, a Toulmin or Rogerian argument might be the best way to respond. Which structure would you use in a response? Please be specific.
- End by citing your image. Please note that you will annotate your image on VoiceThread, but will submit a link to your presentation here on RioLearn. Be sure to read the Voice Thread Instructions PDF carefully.
For a sample of this assignment, please view this VoiceThread sample: Stop the Traffic.