Discussion Post_July 1:
Activity 1: Volume Video
• Watch the video titled “Volume of Cylinders.”
• In this video, students are discussing the volume of a cylinder.
For the discussion post, answer the following questions:
• How did the students generalize about the volume of all cylinders (3-D objects with
parallel & congruent bases—includes all prisms too)? Write a formula for the volume of
• What is one “teacher note” that you took away from the video? By this, I mean what is
one thing that you saw the teacher do in this video that you thought benefited the
learning experience for the students?
Activity 2: Volume of a Cone
• Use rice, dried beans, or centimeter cubes to fill up a cone.
• Then, pour the rice/beans into the same-colored cylinder (same size base and height).
Continue to do this until the cylinder is full.
• How can you use the formula for the volume of a right cylinder to help find the formula
for the cone?
For the discussion post, write your derived formula for the volume of a cone. How did you find
Activity 3: Volume of a Sphere
• What about the volume of a sphere?
• Use a cylinder, cone, and a sphere with the same height (diameter for the sphere) and
radius to help you derive or generate the formula for the volume of a sphere.
For the discussion post, write your derived formula for the volume of a sphere. How did you
Purchase answer to see full