Research a selected local, national, or global nonprofit organization or government agency to determine how it contributes to public health and safety improvements, promotes equal opportunity, and improves the quality of life within the community. Submit your findings in a 3-5 page report.
Many organizations work to better local and global communities' quality of life and promote health and safety in times of crisis. As public health and safety advocates, nurses must be cognizant of how such organizations help certain populations. As change agents, nurses must be aware of factors that impact the organization and the services that it offers. Familiarity with these organizations enables the nurse to offer assistance as a volunteer and source of referral.
This assessment provides an opportunity for you gain insight into the mission, vision, and operations of a community services organization of interest.
Assume you are interested in expanding your role as a nurse and are considering working in an area where you can help to promote equal opportunity and improve the quality of life within the local or global community. You are aware of the work of several nonprofit organizations and government agencies whose work contributes to this effort in some way. You have particular interest in one of these organizations but would like to know more about how it contributes to public health and safety improvements. In addition, you would like to report the results of your research in a scholarly paper that you could submit for publication.
To prepare for the assessment, you are encouraged to complete the Healthy People 2020 in Action activity. Then, choose the organization or agency you are most interested in researching:
Research your chosen organization and submit a report of your findings.
Document Format and Length
Format your paper using APA style.
- Use the . An is also provided to help you in writing and formatting your paper. Be sure to include:
- A title page and references page. An abstract is not required.
- A running head on all pages.
- Appropriate section headings.
- Your paper should comprise 3–5 pages of content plus title and references pages.
Cite at least three credible sources from peer-reviewed journals or professional industry publications that support your research findings.
The research requirements, outlined below, correspond to the grading criteria in the assessment scoring guide, so be sure to address each point.
- Explain how the organization’s mission and vision enable it to contribute to public health and safety improvements.
- Include examples of ways a local and/or global initiative supports organizational mission and vision and promotes public health and safety.
- Evaluate an organization’s ability to promote equal opportunity and improve the quality of life in the community.
- Consider the effects of social, cultural, economic, and physical barriers.
- Assess the impact of funding sources, policy, and legislation on the organization’s provision of services.
- Consider the potential implications of funding decisions, policy, and legislation for individuals, families, and aggregates within the community.
- Explain how an organization’s work impacts the health and/or safety needs of a local community.
- Consider how nurses might become involved with the organization.
- Write clearly and concisely in a logically coherent and appropriate form and style.
- Write with a specific purpose and audience in mind.
- Adhere to scholarly and disciplinary writing standards and APA formatting requirements.