Due Week 9 and worth 100 points
The country of Iran is expending
tremendous resources on developing a nuclear energy program that is believed by
the Western countries to be weapons-oriented. Recently, a virus named the
Stuxnet has been in the news because it was introduced into the Iranian
computers controlling their nuclear program and wreaked havoc on their
centrifuges. Unfortunately, this virus has now escaped and is available to
malicious attackers so that it could potentially be used against our own
Watch the video from “ 60 Minutes”
titled, “Stuxnet: Computer worm opens new era of warfare”, located at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WmaZYJwJng, concerning the
Read the article titled, “News briefs: Flame, Stuxnet, breach at LinkedIn and
other security news”, located at http://www.scmagazine.com/news-briefs-flame-stuxnet-breach-at-linkedin-and-other-security-news/article/245502/,
concerning the Flame virus and Stuxnet.
Write a five to eight (5-8) page paper in which you:
- Describe the virus and how it propagated itself onto servers over the Web
based on the actual information provided. Assess the Web-based risks that led to
- Create a graphic rendering of how the virus was able to replicate onto
remote servers using Visio or an equivalent such as Dia. Note:
The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page
- Describe some of the common vulnerabilities to utility companies with a
virus such as Stuxnet.
- Discuss some secure coding efforts and practices under way to mitigate the
vulnerabilities exposed by this particular episode.
- Use at least four (4) quality resources in this assignment.
Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch
margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or
school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s
name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and
the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
- Include charts or diagrams created in Visio or Dia. The completed diagrams /
charts must be imported into the Word document before the paper is submitted.