Background: The Progressive Movement was a complicated, and sometimes contradictory, phenomenon that sometimes pushed for the expansion of popular democracy while at other times, or even simultaneously, advocated that the functions of government be placed in the hands of experts. The movement addressed some of the worst domestic problems of its time, but its mainstream largely ignored widespread and worsening racial injustices.
Resources: When responding to these questions, draw from the material in the textbook and at least one of the following sources:
- (2002). The progressive era [Television series episode]. In America in the 20th Century. New York, NY: Films for the Humanities & Sciences. Retrieved from http://digital.films.com/OnDemandEmbed.aspx?Token=36215&aid=18596&Plt=FOD&loid=0&w=640&h=480&ref=
- Riis, J. (1914).How the other half lives: Studies among the tenements of New York New York: Charles Schribner's Sons. Retrieved from http://books.google.com/books?id=3cFIAAAAYAAJ&dq=jacob%20riis%20how%20the%20other%20half%20lives&pg=PR3#v=onepage&q=jacob%20riis%20how%20the%20other%20half%20lives&f=false
- Sinclair, U. (1905). Chapter nine. The Jungle. Retrieved from http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5727
- Steffens, L. (1904).The shame of the cities. New York: McClure, Philips & Co, 1–18. Retrieved from http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5732
- Tarbell, I. (1904).The history of the Standard Oil Company. New York: McClure, Phillips, and Co., 168-178. Retrieved from http://www.sageamericanhistory.net/progressive/docs/tarbellSO.html
- Wattenberg, B. (Writer), & Hicks, L. (Director). (2000). 1900-1930 [Television series episode]. In A. Walworth (Executive producer), The First Measured Century: The Other Way of Looking at American History. Arlington, VA: PBS. Retrieved from http://digital.films.com/OnDemandEmbed.aspx?Token=44377&aid=18596&Plt=FOD&loid=0&w=640&h=480&ref=
Review the Progressive Movement of the first two decades of the twentieth century, and generalize what you take to be its core principles. What were the specific economic, social, and political problems that the Progressives sought to address and how did they approach these issues at the local and national levels? How successful were Progressives in implementing their reforms? Describe the variations within Progressivism, including the differing agendas of white and black Progressives. Assess the success of specific Progressive policies and approaches. Consider the impact of the First World War on Progressivism, and vice versa. Before
answering the questions above, reflect
upon the following questions (use the following questions to guide your research):
- What, in your opinion, were the key principles of the Progressive Movement?
- In your opinion,what were Progressivism’s most significant successes and failings?
- Can the First World War be regarded as a particularly Progressive conflict, or did it derail the Progressive Movement—or are both of these statements true?
Your initial post should be at least 200 words in length. Support your claims with examples from the required material(s) and properly cite any references. You may use additional scholarly sources to support your points if you choose.