Computers on the Internet have an assigned address (location) called its Uniform Resource Locator (URL). The
URL is used to identify one computer to the other computers on the
Internet. The URL is a standard way to designate where Internet elements
such as servers, documents, and newsgroups can be found. The URL http://www.course.com is the URL for Course Technology
- specifies the access method and tells your software to access a file
using the Hypertext Transport Protocol, which is the primary method for
interacting with the Internet.
- www - signifies that the address is associated with the World Wide Web service
- course.com - is the domain name that identifies the Internet host site.
Network Solution is a Virginia-based company you can use to register addresses using the .com, .net, or .org domain names.
Type the answers to the questions using a word processor, such as Microsoft Word, save the file as Ch7Domains.doc
1. From the browser. type www.networksolutions.com
2. What are the five options available to help “you succeed online”?
3. Click on each of the five links, what do you see behind each link? (Return to the previous screen, the home screen, each time.)
4. Go back to the first or home screen. View the possible domains that are available. (.com, .tv, .info, .net) What domains are available? (They are checked.) ______________________________________
5. In the Search for a Domain Name box, type in the name you would use for a company that you want to create. (Ex. Webdevelopment.com)
What domain name did you select? __________________________________
6. Click on the Search button to see if that domain name is available.
Was the domain name available? ____________________________________
7. Click on the Home link at the top of the page. (Return to the previous screen)
8. Do a search on Fedex.com. Click on Search. Is that domain name available? __________
Did it suggest some “free” alternative domains? Name some.
Did it suggest some Premium Resale Domain Names? Name some and give the prices.
9. Click on the Home link at the top of the page. (Return to the previous screen)
10. Click on the Web Site Package link. (Under the Websites tab.)
11. View the services and prices available under the Web Site Packages link.
What services are available? _______________________________________
How much do the services cost? ____________________________________
Click on the Home
link at the top of the page. (Return to the previous screen) What other unique things do you observe about this website?