1. John picked a bad of oranges to give to his friends. To the first of his friends, he gave half of the oranges he had and another one beside. to his second friend he gave half of the remaining oranges and another one beside. By this time, John had one orange left. How many did he start with?
2. Ben sold half his fish and half a fish to his friend Jack and still had 22 fish left. How many fish did Ben start with?
3. One pipe fills a tank in 1 hour while another pipe can fill the same tank in 2 hours. How long will it take to fill the tank if both pipes are used.
4. "Best of clocks, how much of the day has gone?" asked Linda. Replied the clock, "There remains one third as much time as has gone." Given the day starts at 12:00 midnight, what is the time?
5. My digital watch shows hours and minutes only. For what fraction of a complete day is at least one "1" showing on the display?