The work is attached. Thank you.
The Environmental / Human-Health Impacts of Unconventional Oil and Gas (UOG) Development.
1. EGSP =? What was its overarching goal?
EGSP- Eastern Gas Shales Project. The goal of adapting engineered hydraulic fracturing treatments, also known
as “fracking,”to create flow paths from natural fracture networks within the shales to vertical wellbores.
2. OK, well, not quite there yet… What additional advanced technology was necessary?
Technical advances in directional drilling for deep-water oil and gas, along with improvements in down-hole bit
3. Describe the basic process involving “laterals” that resulted in economic viability of UOG.
These laterals, which contacted a much greater volume of the shale formation than vertical wells, were
stimulated with a series of staged hydraulic fractures carefully spaced into discrete zones along the lateral. The
combination of horizontal drilling and staged hydraulic fracturing resulted in the production of economical
quantities of natural gas from the Barnett Shale, initiating modern shale-gas and tight-oil development.
4. Simply list the set of basic steps that is required of commercial development of UOG.
A series of staged hydraulic fractures
The combination of horizontal drilling
Staged hydraulic fracturing
5. So, what are some basic environmental concerns with conducting these steps? Figure 1 is helpful
Possible risks to air, water, landscapes, ecosystems, and human health
6. Briefly describe the fracking process.
Fracking involves injection of large volumes of water...
15 Million Students Helped!
Sign up to view the full answer