There is a link between understanding the purpose of one’s research and selecting the appropriate methods to investigate the questions that are derived from that purpose.
–(Newman, Ridenour, Newman, & DeMarco, G. M. P., Jr., 2003, p. 169)
For this Discussion, you will evaluate the purpose statements in assigned journal articles in your discipline and consider the alignment of theory, problem, and purpose. You will also explain your position on the relationship between research and social change.
Alignment means that a research study possesses clear and logical connections among all of its various components. To achieve these connections, researchers must carefully craft the components of their study such that when they are viewed together, there is a coherent interrelationship.
As you read the authors’ purpose statements, consider how well the intent of the study, and its connection to the problem and theoretical framework, is presented. Also consider if the purpose statement reveals the study’s potential for engendering positive social change.
As you know, social change is a distinguishing feature of Walden University’s mission. Positive social change implies a transformation that results in positive outcomes. This can happen at many levels (e.g., individual, family systems, neighborhoods, organizations, nationally and globally); and positive social change can occur at different rates: slow and gradual or fast and radical.
With these thoughts in mind, refer to the Journal Articles handout for your assigned articles for this Discussion. You will switch your journal article assignment from Week 3. If your last name starts with A through L, use Article B. If your last name starts with M through Z, use Article A. Follow the prompt below for your program.
Master’s and research doctorate (PhD) students
Write a critique of the research study in which you:
- Evaluate the purpose statement using the Purpose Statement Checklist as a guide
- Analyze alignment among the theory, research problem, and purpose
- Explain your position on the relationship between research and social change
Be sure to support your Main Issue Post and Response Post with reference to the week’s Learning Resources and other scholarly evidence in APA Style
- Course Text: Babbie, E. (2016). Basics of social research (7th ed.). Boston, MA: Cengage Learning.
- Chapter 4, “Research Design”
- Course Text: Burkholder, G. J., Cox, K. A., & Crawford, L. M. (2016). The scholar-practitioner’s guide to research design. Baltimore, MD: Laureate Publishing.
- Chapter 10, “Writing the Research Proposal”
- Handout: Journal Articles (Word Document)
For the Discussion, download this handout, refer to the assigned journal articles for your program, and find these articles in the Walden Library.
- Handout: Purpose Statement Checklist (PDF)
- Laureate Education (Producer). (2016c). Purposes of research [Video file]. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Laureate Education (Producer). (2009a). Doctoral research: Social change
[Video file]. Baltimore, MD: Author.