For this assignment, you will submit the following components for the Research Proposal: (1) the Introduction, (2) the
Problem Statement (including any corrections), (3) the Rationale for the Research, (4) Statement of the Research
Objectives, (5) Hypothesis, (6) Definition of Terms, and (7) a Summary. The estimated length of this part of the
assignment is four pages.
1. Introduction: The student will need to introduce what the research proposal topic is about. See page 271
of your textbook. (Estimated length – one page)
2. Problem Statement: You need to identify a very specific problem within the stated topic. Do not let that
problem be too broad. It should be narrowed down to a specific problem that is researchable. Present that
problem in a general thesis statement stating why the problem is important enough to study. Include any
corrections or feedback you received from the Unit I Assignment. See page 43 of your textbook.
(Estimated length – one paragraph)
3. Rationale for the Research: You will need to explain what the study intends to accomplish. What rationale
was used to determine the importance for this study? How does your study relate to larger issues? Make
a persuasive statement to justify the reason for the study. Why is the study important? To whom is it
important? What benefits will occur if this particular study is done? (Estimated length – half a page)
4. Statement of the Research Objectives: Identify the objectives and the purpose for the study. Example:
The purpose and the objectives for this study are to …. Identify/understand/determine…. (Estimated
length – half a page)
5. Hypothesis: A hypothesis is really an educated guess. A hypothesis results when the questions are
transformed into statements that express the relationships between the variables within the proposed
study. It is sometimes referred to as an “if/then” statement.
6. Definition of Terms: Define a minimum of five terms used throughout the proposal so that readers can be
sure to understand the meaning of the terminology used. An example of a definition is: “For the purpose
of this research, improvement is operationally defined as post test score minus pretest score.” (Estimated
length – half a page)
7. Summary: Include a restatement of the problem and a summary of the proposal. (Estimated length – one
Each part of this assignment should be submitted in one document.