Instructor Comments – Please FOLLOW.
Our next assignment is an
Individual Project (IP)
The heart of
the PowerPoint should be an overview of the steps that are needed
to make a good location decision, whether it is for an additional manufacturing
facility in some other state or country, or a new distribution center location
in another state or country.
Use a colored background for your slides
Have few words but lots of eye-catching graphics,
clip art, or pictures on each slide
notes of 100–200
words for each slide
Assume the presentation should last 30–45 minutes
and should have 15–17 slides
You are selecting a mass
merchandiser that has multiple USA locations and international locations too. Consider the big box retailers such as
Walmart for this assignment or any other retailer that has multiple USA
locations and an overseas presence.
Your presentation is based on the
following 7 facts:
has 200 retail locations all over the United States.
Right now, all
shipments come from the East Coast manufacturing plant finished goods
States sales growth rates are expected to be double that of the Eastern United
has a total of 50 stores located outside of the United States, mostly in
Europe, where population growth is averaging 1% a year.
It has no
retail locations in India, China, or Mexico, where on average, population
growth is averaging 10% into the future.
is a “high-cube” product, like a refrigerator or color television.
materials for your manufacturing facility are also high-cube and have a lot of
cardboard packaging (which takes up space) to protect the high-dollar value
components that the factory buys.
Finally, the CEO reminds
you that this presentation is meant to be a how-to guide for
the overall decision-making process that you will be using in your future
facts, what do you recommend and why?
you are offering the steps to follow for this location decision.
Here is what you need to
- List and describe at least 12 steps
- Each of the steps are fully explained to include how they are
integrated with each other.
- You have demonstrated knowledge of systems thinking.
- Be sure to label each of your steps.
- Feel free to offer more than 12 steps if needed.
- Remember that in PowerPoint presentations the bulk of your words
are listed in the slide notes portion and the requirement is for 100-200
words per slide in the notes section.
- Also keep in mind that you are considered the “expert” in this
presentation; that is, YOU are the presenter standing in front of the
- You are telling the audience what your recommended plan is for a
new location along with why you believe as you do.
- You are NOT asking for their advice; they are relying upon you to
explain what you are proposing and why.
- In other words do NOT make the mistake of asking them what needs
to be done or what their thoughts are on the matter.
- You are telling them what needs to be done and why.
- You are the expert on location decisions.