There is paucity of data on the prevalence of dentinal sensitivity outside the hospital setting and impact of dentinal sensitivity among young adults in Africa. This study aimed to determine the prevalence and impact of dentinal sensitivity among young adults in Nigeria.
Materials and Methods:
A cross-sectional survey was conducted among the undergraduates of University of Benin in August, 2010. Self-administered questionnaire elicited information on demography, self-reported dentinal sensitivity, the trigger factor, action taken, functional, and psychological impact.
1. Addy M. Dentine hypersensitivity: New perspectives on an old problem. Int Dent J. 2002;52:367–75.
2. Stojsin I, Petrović L, Stojanac I, Drobac M. Multi-factoriality of dentine hypersensitivity. Med Pregl.2008;61:359–63.
3. Steinkeller-Dekel M, Smidt A, Pilo R. Dentinal hypersensitivity. (74).Refuat Hapeh Vehashinayim.2010;27:27–34.
4. Orchardson R, Collins WJ. Clinical features of hypersensitive teeth. Br Dent J. 1987;162:253–6.
5. Bánóczy J. Dentin hypersensitivity and its significance in dental practice. Fogorv Sz. 2002;95:223–8.
6. Gillam DG, Seo HS, Bulman JS, Newman HN. Perceptions of dentine hypersensitivity in a general practice population. J Oral Rehabil. 1999;26:710–4.
15 Million Students Helped!
Sign up to view the full answer