Running Head: THE EFFECTIVENESS OF MENTORSHIP PROGRAMS AT PWI’s To
STUDENTS OF COLOR
The Effectiveness of Mentorship Programs at PWI’s To Students of Color
THE EFFECTIVENESS OF MENTORSHIP PROGRAMS AT PWI’s To STUDENTS OF
1. Many students of color have been suffering silently at Predominantly White Institutions
(PWI’s) throughout the country. An in-depth examination of this issue indicates that
these students of color have academic capability but do struggle to maintain positive
well-being in school environment that may sound unwelcoming and hostile to them.
2. Persistent issues faced by students of color in Predominantly White Institutions (PWI’s)
include issues such as social isolation, devaluing, stigma and rejection. When students of
color are exposed to environment of rejection and hostility, they fail to thrive well in such
3. According to the current research, regardless of positive patterns of academic success
among students of color, without effective mentorship program many of these students
are more likely to experience low self-esteem, poor emotional health, poor satisfaction
with campus life which may eventually lead to college dropout.
4. Effective mentoring program provide a positive experience and enable students of color
in Predominantly White Institutions (PWI’s) to navigate the campus experience and
improve their academic outcomes.
5. Enhancing mentoring efforts at Predominantly White Institutions (PWI’s...
15 Million Students Helped!
Sign up to view the full answer