This assignment comprises of two case studies.
Case Study 1: Baidu: Beating Google at Its Game
Read the case study located on page 16 of the section titled Case Studies in your textbook and prepare a 3- to 4-page report in a Microsoft Word document, based on the following situation:
At the conclusion of Baidu's final strategic planning session, Robin Li (Cofounder, Chairman, and CEO) assigned you to prepare a written report and announcement that would be presented to the company's shareholders and included in a public statement. The purpose of the report is to summarize the strategic direction for Baidu moving forward and to highlight key decisions made to exploit the company's capabilities, address competitive realities, maximize performance, and secure a long-term position for the company.
Your report should address the following key strategic issues:
- Summarize Baidu's current strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats (SWOT).
- Define the company's strategic goals.
- Discuss the characteristics of Baidu's competitive landscape and the need for strategic flexibility.
- Considering the company's current situation, summarize the strategic direction Li has decided to pursue.
- Explain how this strategy will stand up against the competition and conditions in the industry.
- Discuss the uncertainties and risks of doing business in different regions throughout the world.
- Discuss the elements and objectives of Baidu's cooperative strategy. What potential risks can interfere with achievement of immediate and long-term strategic goals? How should Baidu protect itself to sustain success?
Case Study 2: United Airlines
Read the case study located on page 421 of the section titled Case Studies in your textbook and prepare a 3- to 4-page report in a Microsoft Word document, based on the following situation. You could append this report to the report you prepared forCase study 1.
As the industry watches to see how United Airlines' strategy performs against American Airlines' strategy, management at United Airlines is anxiously monitoring market signs to determine its next competitive move. It has underestimated American Airlines in the past, and despite the fact that with billions of dollars invested and strategies that cannot be easily abandoned, United Airlines needs to be prepared to respond to changing industry needs as quickly as they are detected.
You have been asked to join a strategic planning discussion, and hoping to contribute to the meeting, you decide to take one more look at United Airlines' situation to see if you can formulate some insight that could give the company an edge against American Airlines.
Your analysis should include the following elements:
- Compare the two competitor's strategies. Based on your knowledge of the industry, what conclusions can you draw?
- Outline a rough competitor analysis. What does the level of interdependence between the rivals reveal about competitive behavior that can be expected from American Airlines?
- Evaluate the pros and cons of United Airlines outsourcing strategy. Do you agree with the company's decision to offload parts production?
- Review United Airlines cooperative strategy. What are the risks of its partnership arrangements?
- Discuss the ways in which United Airlines can improve international strategy.
- Identify and describe some of the near-term and long-term results you anticipate in the airplane production industry.
Support your responses with examples.
Cite any sources in APA format.
Name your document SU_MGT4070_W3_A2_LastName_FirstInitial.doc.
Submit your document to the W3 Assignment 2 Dropbox by Tuesday, June 17, 2014.
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria|
|Case Study 1: Baidu: Beating Google at Its Game|
|Summarized Baidu's current SWOT.|
|Defined the company's strategic goals.|
|Discussed the characteristics of Baidu's competitive landscape and the need for strategic flexibility.|
|Summarized the strategic direction Li has decided to pursue keeping in mind the company's current situation.|
|Explained how this strategy will stand up against the competition and conditions in the industry.|
|Discussed the uncertainties and risks of doing business in different regions throughout the world.|
|Discussed the elements and objectives of Baidu's cooperative strategy. Also discussed the potential risks that can interfere with achievement of immediate and long-term strategic goals and how Baidu should protect itself to sustain success.|
|Case Study 2: United Airlines|
|Compared the two competitor's strategies. In addition, discussed the conclusions that can be drawn based on your knowledge of the industry.|
|Outlined the competitor analysis. Revealed competitive behavior that can be expected from American Airlines based on the level of interdependence between the rivals.|
|Evaluated the pros and cons of United Airlines outsourcing strategy.|
|Reviewed United Airlines cooperative strategy and discussed the risks associated with its partnership arrangements.|
|Discussed the ways in which United Airlines' international strategy can be improved.|
|Identified and described some of the near-term and long-term results anticipated in the airplane production industry.|