Assignment 1: Politics- Yesterday, Today, and TomorrowDue Week 6 and worth 200 points
Students, I have made changes to the 3 topics you are to write on for this Assignment 1. Please use this document as your guideline for writing the paper, not the original one which is deleted. One change is that you only need to provide 1 (one) example for each of the 3 topics. The wording of the questions has also been changed.
Note: I will grade you on 1 example in the grading rubric regardless of what it states.
Before you write it helps to understand the concept of social responsibility. Social responsibility is becoming increasingly important today as businesses, government and citizens address the need to behave ethically and with sensitivity towards social, cultural, economic and environmental concerns. Government decision makers are acting in a socially responsible way when they take positive steps to benefit the people, and not just themselves or the interests of a few.
With that as a starting point, address the following 3 questions.
Instructions: Write a three to four (3-4) page paper in which the student answers all of the following three (3) items using headers to separate each item. This does not need to be in essay form.
- Discuss either one (1) civil liberties or one (1) civil rights event (past or current) that has influenced a sense of social responsibility in the American government today. Provide examples to support your answer. Note: In your response, consider how the events influenced the way state, local or national political leaders or agencies responded in a socially responsible or ethical manner toward the community.
- Discuss one (1) media event (past or present) that has positively and or negatively influenced the public’s opinion of a government agency. Provide examples to support your answer. Note: Consider how a news story or media coverage of an event positively or negatively changed the public’s opinion (or perception) regarding how responsible a government agency should be towards meeting the needs of its customers; i.e. the American people.
- Discuss one (1) difference between the Republican and Democratic parties that may have an ethical impact (positively or negatively) on the American people. Provide examples to support your answer. Note: Consider the different ideals, values, morals, and/or goals held by the Republican and Democratic parties, and their different views on the ethically or morally right way to govern and make the best policies for the people they serve. Determine if your example presents any type of ethical concerns for or against the public interest of the American people.
In your research, do not use Wikipedia, online dictionaries, Sparknotes, Cliffnotes, or any other Website do that does not qualify as an academic resource.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are to:
- Identify informed opinions on issues and questions involving the U.S. government, national political processes, policy making, and the notion of democracy.
- Employ terminology used to study political science and American government.
- Distinguish between civil rights and civil liberties in the context of Supreme Court protection of freedom of expression.
- Develop reasoned written and spoken presentations on issues and questions involving the U.S. government and national political processes using information in the course.
- Explain how the federal system of government works.
- Explore different perspectives on issues and questions about the U.S. government and national political processes.
- Describe the importance of an informed, effective citizenship for the national government and political processes.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in the field of U.S. government and politics.
- Write clearly and concisely about U.S. government and politics using proper writing mechanics.