In the week’s required reading, The Value of Valuing Employees, the author states that there are six pitfalls that a leader can fall into—poor behaviors that can make employees or followers feel as if they don’t matter. The author states that “When employees are made to feel that they don’t matter, it happens on an emotional level, not an intellectual one” (para. 6).
- Think about each of the pitfalls mentioned in the reading. For each of the six pitfalls, provide an example of a leader (from your work, life experience, from the media, or your research on leaders) who you think engaged in that particular pitfall.
- Describe the situation, focusing on how the leader committed the pitfall and with what impact.
- What should the leader have done differently in order to correct his or her behavior?
Write a 900 to 1200-word paper, using each pitfall as a separate heading in the paper. You will write in the first person for this assignment. Refer to the handouts and templates you used for the first Critical Thinking assignment in Week 2 in developing your effective and well-formatted paper. Be sure your paper follows APA style according to the CSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA Requirements.
1. Failing to Respond to Employee emails
2. Failing to Provide Feedback - Positive or Negative
3. Acknowledging People Only When They Make Mistakes
4. Failing to Celebrate Victories
5. Showing Favoritism
6.Burning Out Employees.