Assignment: SCI103 Phase 5 Lab Report
TITLE: Potential and Kinetic Energy
INSTRUCTIONS: Enter the Virtual Lab and conduct the experiments provided. Please
type your answers on this form. When your lab report is complete, submit it to the
Submitted Assignments area of the Virtual Classroom.
Part I – Answer the following questions while in the Phase 5 lab environment.
Section 1 – From the left of the screen to the right, the red balls have a center of mass placed at
20 feet, 15 feet, and 10 feet high respectively.
1. Suppose each red ball weighs 20 lbs. Find the potential energy (PE) for each ball
on each ramp. In this lab mass is given in pounds and height is in feet, so use
32.2 ft/sec2 as the gravitational constant. Your answer will be in foot-pounds
since US units are being used.
PE = m g h
where g = 32.2 ft/sec2
2. Predict the maximum speed (velocity) of each ball on each ramp. How would this
speed change if each ball’s mass was doubled? ASSUMPTION: assume there is
no friction and that all the potential energy you calculated in question 1 is
transformed into kinetic energy – PE = KE. Use the following equation.
KE= ½ m v2
You want to calculate v maximum speed
v = [KE/ ½ m]½
This means divide the KE by half the mass and then take the square root.
Max v for 20 lb. ball
Max v for 40 lb. ball
Section 2 (Each of the green balls has a center of mass placed at 20 feet high). While each ramp
looks identical, each ramp has a different amount of friction.
3. Which ramp has the greatest friction?
4. Suppose each green ball weighs 10 lbs. Assuming there is no friction, calculate
the potential energy for each ball on each ramp.
5. Again assuming there is no friction; predict the maximum speed of the ball on
each ramp. On which ramp does the ball come closest to achieving this max
Use this table to organize your calculated values
Max Seed (v)
Part II – For the following questions, provide your response in short answer format (2-3
sentences each). Use this Phase’s activities and resources to assist you in answering:
6. What is Potential Energy (PE)? Give examples from the lab.
7. What is Kinetic Energy (KE)? Give examples from the lab.
8. What is Inertia?
9. What is Gravity? How is it a type of potential energy?
10. What is Mass and how does it affect energy?
11. How do Potential and Kinetic energy (gravity and mechanical force) apply to the
Law of Conservation of Energy?
12. What is Friction? How does it affect energy use?
Purchase answer to see full