I’m studying for my Social Science class and need an explanation.
Community Analysis Paper-
Social workers should develop a thorough understanding of community structure and dynamics before
actively intervening in a community. They develop understanding by gathering information from a
variety of sources, and by critically analyzing the information. Careful analysis of community data
provides an essential foundation for intervention. When you complete this assignment, you should have
identified barriers, problems or concerns that will benefit from intervention.
The student is expected to:
1. Select a geographic community for study, using guidelines discussed in class.
MSWK 6661- Social Work Practice with Groups, Communities and Organizations
2. Prepare a community profile, using, at a minimum the contents of your community plan. Use written
and other information obtained through interviews with community residents and/or leaders.
3. Be sure to gather information regarding diverse populations in the community, including characteristics
such as age, race, sexual orientation, ability levels, income levels, gender, ethnicity, and religion.
Possible sources for this information are: city government, county government, local planning council,
United Way, Chamber of Commerce, neighborhood associations, public library, and local newspapers.
Students should also talk with people who live and work in the community.
4. The student can use photos and maps to illustrate issues in the community. For example, photos of the
schools, churches, hospitals can indicate the major institutions of the community. The photographs
must have captions to illustrate issues and demographics.
5. Be sure to identify the area of concern you would like to focus on in your “Community Intervention
6. The assignment must be 5 pages (excluding title and reference page) of double-spaced, typed
content. If you are using pictures they must be on a separate page (with heading and information
about picture) after the page of content addressing the picture. Each section will be discussed in class
to assist you in writing your analysis. Writing style tips and required reference style are found in the
American Psychological Association Publication Manual (5th Edition).