College of Administrative and Financial Sciences
Human Resource Management (MGT211)
Deadline: 28/03/2020 @ 23:59
Course Name: H.R. Management
Course Code: MGT211
Student’s ID Number:
Academic Year: 1440/1441 H
For Instructor’s Use only
Students’ Grade: Marks Obtained/Out of
Level of Marks: High/Middle/Low
Instructions – PLEASE READ THEM CAREFULLY
• The Assignment must be submitted on Blackboard (WORD format only)
via allocated folder.
• Assignments submitted through email will not be accepted.
• Students are advised to make their work clear and well presented, marks
may be reduced for poor presentation. This includes filling your
information on the cover page.
• Students must mention question number clearly in their answer.
• Late submission will NOT be accepted.
• Avoid plagiarism, the work should be in your own words, copying from
students or other resources without proper referencing will result in ZERO
marks. No exceptions.
• All answered must be typed using Times New Roman (size 12, doublespaced) font. No pictures containing text will be accepted and will be
• Submissions without this cover page will NOT be accepted.
Assignment -2 should be submitted on or before the end of Week-10.
1. Demonstrate overall Human Resource concepts, goals and strategies
within the context of organizations goals and strategies (Lo 1.1).
Ability to carry out objective and scientific analysis of Employees’
performance management (Lo 2.3 & 2.6).
Assignment- 2 CASE STUDY
Imagine you’re the VP of Human resources for a Fortunate 100 company. You’ve spent
your entire career attempting to enhance the workplace for employees to support their
productive work in the organization. While you understand that bottom-line decisions
often dominate many of the matters you have to address. You have worked hard to ensure
that the employees were treated with respect and dignity in all interactions that affected
them. You aligned the hiring process to serve the strategic needs of the organization, as
well as implemented an effective performance management system. You truly believe in
the progress you’ve made in helping the organization achieve its goals. You simply
couldn’t imagine doing things differently. However, concern that the performance
management process is becoming less effective because managers are inflating employee
ratings has led 15 percent of all large organizations to adjust their performance
management to what is frequently called “rank and yank”. Under such a system,
managers are evaluated as 1, 2, 3 or 4, with 1 being the highest rating and 4 the lowest. In
many cases, managers are required to give a 4 rating to the lowest 10 percent of
employees each year. Those individuals receiving a rating of 4 for two consecutive years
are often let go from the organization.
The intent behind this system is that the throughout the two year process, evaluators are
to meet frequently with the four employees, counsel them and provide necessary
development opportunities. Employees in organizations that employ such a performance
management system often view this process unbearable. They view the performance
management process as punitive, one in which the organization is attempting to rid itself
of higher-paid older workers. In at least one case, Ford Motor Company employees have
filed a lawsuit to stop this practice—and prevailed .Ford removed the punitive nature of
its evaluation system—and focused it more on counselling and performance improvement
of the lowest-rated employees rather than elimination from the organization.
Source: Textbook- DeCenzo, D. A., & Robbins, S. P. (2013). Human
1. What type of evaluation process would you say is being used in this case? Explain
this evaluation process.[ Marks 2]
2. What effect, if any, do you believe rank and yank evaluations have on managers?
Do you see these effects as positive or negative? Defend your position.[ 3]
3. What role does such a system have in distorting performance appraisals?[Marks
4. Write your suggestions/opinions to create better performance appraisal system in
the Organization. [Marks 2.5]
Purchase answer to see full