• •Correctional counselors work with inmates in correctional settings.
• They work in an environment where they are exposed to situations that cause
threats and tension.
• The situation causes them psychological distress resulting in adverse
outcomes on their health and work.
• Self-care is critical in dealing with psychological distress..
Situations in Correctional Settings
• Correctional counselors are faced with situations that could involve them,
fellow staff, or inmates.
• These situations include sexual assault, riots, or murder within the prisons.
• The situations may result in outcomes that prompt one to seek counseling.
• •Sexual assault has become a significant concern in the prisons with its
increase in overtime.
15 Million Students Helped!
Sign up to view the full answer