I’m trying to study for my Nursing course and I need some help to understand this question.
Qualities of a Nurse Leader
It is important for nurse leaders to engage with other nurse leaders to understand professional roles; a practice experience is assigned to achieve this end. It is expected that you will spend 8-10 hours with the nurse leader, shadowing them in their position, observing them go about their day, and interviewing them. The interview can take place before, during, or after the shadow period or can be on a different day.
**All students are to submit a completed Practice Hour Log of at least 8-10 hours into the Mod 6 dropbox. Note: Students who hold an RN license in the state of Washington must complete a minimum of 10 hours of practice experience as noted on their Log. Upload the Log as a separate document. **
You will engage with and interview a nurse leader in person. You should begin thinking about this activity as soon as possible and identify how you will identify and gain access to the interview. You may include photos, graphs, or charts.
- Choose a nurse leader who holds a leadership nursing position in their organization who have direct reports (they supervise other employees). Examples of this include Director of Nursing, Director, Unit Manager. *You may not be employed in the same facility as your interviewee or shadow during personal work hours* (If special accommodations need to be made, approval by your instructor is required first).
- Develop an interview guide before conducting the interview. Identify information that you want to know before the interview and plan clarifying questions. You must include at least one question about technology/informatics.
- Conduct an interview regarding their professional role in the organization, and a current health care issue that is of interest to you (ethics, conflict management, budget, staffing, culture of safety, “just culture”, career advancement, quality improvement, etc.). Identify the name of the organization and use names of all involved (no anonymity).
- Prepare a written report of the interview.
Sample questions below. Feel free to vary the content of the questions to fit your interview:
- Please describe the nursing and inter-professional teams that operate in this facility/on this unit.
- Can you provide an example of a nursing practice that has been changed in the last year based on current best evidence?
- What do you consider your biggest challenge?
- What do you love most about your job?
- Why did you choose this job?
- What other kinds of nursing/other job did you ever do?
- How would you describe your company’s culture?
- How would you describe your role in admission and staffing decisions?
- What is your leadership style?
* If you are employed in a large healthcare facility that has more than one location, you may interview the nurse leader in that organization with prior permission from your instructor. The purpose of this is to get you out of your organization and explore other nursing leadership roles than you might be familiar with.
Length: 1500 to 1750 words in length; Upload log Separately
Structure: Include a title page and reference page in APA format. These do not count towards the minimum word count for this assignment. Your essay must include an introduction and a conclusion.
References: Use appropriate APA style in-text citations and references for all resources utilized to answer the questions. Your essay should have at least two scholarly references in addition to the textbook. Please be sure to cite the interview in APA format.
Rubric: This assignment uses a rubric for scoring. Please review it as part of your assignment preparation and again prior to submission to ensure you have addressed its criteria at the highest level.
Format: Save your assignment as a Microsoft Word document (.doc or .docx) or a PDF document (.pdf)
File name: Name your saved file according to your first initial, last name, and the assignment number (for example RHall Assignment 1.docx)
In-depth coverage of topic; outstanding clarity and explanation of concepts demonstrated in information presented; approaches assignment with depth and breadth, without redundancy, using clear and focused details.
Exceptionally clear, logical, mature, and thorough organization permitting smooth flow of ideas; Introduction that grabs interest of reader and states topic in clear, unambiguous terms. Excellent concluding summary with succinct and precise ideas that impact reader.
Provides exemplary logical reasoning for the claims and thoughts within the assignment.
Provides very strong support from credible, current, relevant, academic citations; Meets or exceeds the minimum number of required citations in assignment description. Accurate citations and references are presented. No APA errors are evident.
Style and voice are not only appropriate to the given audience and purpose, but also show originality and creativity. Word choice is specific, purposeful, dynamic and varied. Free of mechanical and typographical errors. A variety of sentence structures and effective figures of speech are used. Writer is clearly in command of standard, written, academic English.