Kindly have a look
Roman Poet Vergil
• Publius Vergilius Maro (70-19 BCE), is commonly known to the modern
readers as Virgil.
• He was one of the most famous and greatest poets of early Roman Empire.
• He is known mostly for his work Aeneid.
• His followers though of him highly and placed him in high regard.
• In the 14th century CE an Italian author Dante settled upon Virgil to guide
him through out the nine levels of hells during the inferno.
• Virgil is sometimes spelt as Vergil.
Portraits of Vergil
His Early Life
• Virgil was born on October 15, 70 BCE in Andes.
• Andes is a small village located near Mantua north of Po River.
• According to a 5th –century CE author Macrobuis Virgil was born by his
parents among the woods and shrubs.
• He had a countryman appearance , that is, tall and bulky with a dark
• The parents were fluent enough to provide him with a solid education.
• He gained his education in both Cremona and Milan , the place where he
also gained his toga virlis (Wasson, 2017).
• Toga virlis is a symbol of citizenship and manhood.
• Because of his education he was highly appreciated by both the Roman
authors and Greek.
• He also studied in Rome in the s...
15 Million Students Helped!
Sign up to view the full answer