College of Administrative and Financial Sciences
Principles of Management (MGT101)
Deadline: 11/04/2020 @ 23:59
Course Name: Principles of
Course Code: MGT101
Student’s ID Number:
Academic Year: 1440/1441 H, 2nd Term
For Instructor’s Use only
Students’ Grade: /10
Level of Marks: High/Middle/Low
Instructions – PLEASE READ THEM CAREFULLY
• The Assignment must be submitted on Blackboard (WORD format only)
via allocated folder.
• Assignments submitted through email will not be accepted.
• Students are advised to make their work clear and well presented, marks
may be reduced for poor presentation. This includes filling your information
on the cover page.
• Students must mention question number clearly in their answer.
• Late submission will NOT be accepted.
• Avoid plagiarism, the work should be in your own words, copying from
students or other resources without proper referencing will result in ZERO
marks. No exceptions.
• All answered must be typed using Times New Roman (size 12, doublespaced) font. No pictures containing text will be accepted and will be
• Submissions without this cover page will NOT be accepted.
• This Assignment comprise of a short Case.
• Assignment is to be submitted by each student individually.
Assignment Purposes/Learning Outcomes:
After completion of Assignment-3 students will able to understand the
LO 2. Recognize the functions of planning, organizing and controlling and how
they interrelate (Lo2.1)
LO 4. Apply knowledge and techniques of strategic planning and decision making.
Please read the Management in Action case “Norwegian Air Shuttle Aspires to
Become the Cheapest Global Airline” at the end of Chapter 4 “Global Management”
available in your textbook Management: A Practical Approach 7th edition by
Kinicki, A., & Williams, B., and answer the following questions:
1. What are the biggest challenges Norwegian experienced in trying to expand its
airline across the globe?
2. To what extent did you observe examples of ethnocentric, polycentric, or
geocentric attitudes in this case? Provide examples to support your conclusions.
3. Use Table 4.4 (Given below) to identify cultural differences that are likely to
arise between Norwegian employees working in Denmark and Sweden and
Thailand. How might these differences affect interpersonal interactions, and
what can the company do to reduce any unintended conflict from these
4. What are the most important lessons to be learned about global management
from this case? Discuss.(2 marks)
TABLE 4.4 Countries Ranking Highest and Lowest on the Globe Cultural Dimensions
Morocco, Argentina, Thailand, Spain,
Denmark, Netherlands, South Africa
(black sample), Israel, Costa Rica
Switzerland, Sweden, Germany (former
West), Denmark, Austria
Russia, Hungary, Bolivia, Greece,
Sweden, South Korea, Japan,
Greece, Hungary, Germany (former
East), Argentina, Italy
Iran, India, Morocco, China, Egypt
Denmark, Sweden, New Zealand,
Hungary, Poland, Slovenia, Denmark,
South Korea, Egypt, Morocco, India,
Germany (former East), Austria, Greece,
United States, Spain
Sweden, New Zealand, Switzerland,
Singapore, Switzerland, Netherlands,
Canada (English speaking), Denmark
Russia, Argentina, Poland, Italy,
Singapore, Hong Kong, New Zealand,
Taiwan, United States
Russia, Argentina, Greece, Venezuela,
Philippines, Ireland, Malaysia, Egypt,
Germany (former West), Spain,
France, Singapore, Brazil
Source: Adapted from M. Javidan and R. J. House, “Cultural Acumen for the Global Manager: Lessons from
Project GLOBE,” Organizational Dynamics, Spring 2001, pp. 289–305.
Purchase answer to see full