Exploratory Data Analysis and
Visualization for E-Commerce Data
• In conducting the research on tableau visualization technique for ecommerce data,
we conducted research using different databases to gather data on the above.
• We reviewed each article to get to the bottom line and to understand the various
data visualization tools that are can be used to visual data apart from tableau
• In the process of conducting this research, we focused on the key word “data
visualization” and reviewed various tools used and why data visualization is
• We finally presented sample tableau dataset and highlighted some of the challenges
in ecommerce industry.
• Data is a fundamental asset to every organization.
• In today’s world that is entire of changing technology, extensive information
is being produced that is challenging to store, manage, and utilize for
• It is essential to analyze and visualize this massive amount of data so that it
can be used for decision making.
• Some example of data visualization tools includes leaflet, Vega, Power BI,
Tableau, and Echarts.
Importance of Data Analysis and
• Data analysis helps the business to understand the problems facing the
• Data analysis helps the industry to understand the products needed in the
market, the trends, and the vital things that are required by the customers.
• Data analysis helps the business to determine the type of advertisement that
useful and will be appealing to the customers.
• Visualization is vital since it converts large and small data into tables and
maps that can be used for decision making.
Data Visualization Tools
• Echart is a data visualization tool that is rich in different chart type used for regular
• It is not flexible and difficult for users to customize complex relational tables.
• Leaflet is a data visualization tool that is targeted for map application and it is
compatible with mobile phones.
• Every user for leaflet is supposed to have a secondary development capabilities.
Data Visualization Tools Conti…
• Vega is a data visualization tool that uses a set of interactive graphical
grammars that define the rule of mapping from data to graphic.
• This type of data visualization uses multiple data sources.
• However, Power BI can only be used as a separate BI tool and cannot be
integrated with the existing systems.
Data Visualization Tools Conti…
• Tableau is an intelligence tool for business for visually analyzing data.
• Tableau creates and distributes interactive and shareable dashboards, showing
trends, changes and densities of data in graphs and charts.
• The data visualization tool also connects to files, relational data sources and
significant data sources to get and process data.
• Tableau does not compel the users to write custom code and allows data mixing and
Challenges in E-Commerce Industry
• E-commerce industry depends heavily on Google for traffic.
• E-commerce is faced with absence of online verification of customers.
• E-commerce does not maintain the loyalty of the customer.
1. Which Data Visualization tool compares to be the best for Data Importation, Visualization,
What are the Top 10 Paid Marketing Campaigns contributing to high traffic to the Website?
What are Top 10 Paid Marketing Campaigns contributing to Purchases/Conversions?
What are the Top 10 Referrals to the site?
What percentage of Users purchased the first time they Add to Cart?
What percentage of abandoned Users returned from Email Campaign and successfully made a
7. What are the Top 10 Product Categories selling this month?
8. What are the Top 10 Product Categories that generated the most revenue?
• The information presented in the sample set is useful and shows how Tableau can
be used to analyze data.
• Tableau allows mixing real-time data collaboration and thus facilitates the process
of analyzing different types of data.
• Tableau thus, offers an effective and efficient way to visualize this data in manner
that further foster analysis and comprehension of the data.
• More research is needed in the area of data visualization particularly with the use of
tableau to get to understand how tableau can further support other development in
data research and presentation.
• Ali, S. M., Gupta, N., Nayak, G. K., & Lenka, R. K. (2016, December). Big data visualization: Tools and challenges. In 2016
2nd International Conference on Contemporary Computing and Informatics (IC3I) (pp. 656-660). IEEE.
• Anand, A., MacKinlay, J. D., & Wongsuphasawat, K. (2015). U.S. Patent Application No. 14/242,857.
• Caldarola, E. G., & Rinaldi, A. M. (2017, July). Big Data Visualization Tools: A Survey. In Proceedings of the 6th International
Conference on Data Science, Technology and Applications (pp. 296-305). SCITEPRESS-Science and Technology Publications, Lda.
• Cichocki, A., Mandic, D., De Lathauwer, L., Zhou, G., Zhao, Q., Caiafa, C., & Phan, H. A. (2015). Tensor decompositions
for signal processing applications: From two-way to multiway component analysis. IEEE signal processing magazine, 32(2),
• Hara, N. C., Boué, G., Laskar, J., & Correia, A. C. M. (2017). Radial velocity data analysis with compressed sensing
techniques. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 464(1), 1220-1246.
• Kim, J., Stolte, C. R., MacKinlay, J. D., Stewart, R., Beran, B., Talbot, J., & Rueter, M. (2019). U.S. Patent No. 10,332,284.
Washington, DC: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
• Kumar, S., Toshniwal, D., & Parida, M. (2017). A comparative analysis of heterogeneity in road accident data using data
mining techniques. Evolving systems, 8(2), 147-155.
• Perkel, J. M. (2018). Data visualization tools drive interactivity and reproducibility in online publishing. Nature, 554(7690),
• Pruneau, C. A. (2017). Data analysis techniques for physical scientists. Cambridge University Press.
• Rautenhaus, M., Böttinger, M., Siemen, S., Hoffman, R., Kirby, R. M., Mirzargar, M., ... & Westermann, R. (2017).
Visualization in meteorology—a survey of techniques and tools for data analysis tasks. IEEE Transactions on Visualization
and Computer Graphics, 24(12), 3268-3296.
• Stewart, R. (2017). U.S. Patent Application No. 14/603,302.
• Talia, D., Trunfio, P., & Marozzo, F. (2015). Data analysis in the cloud: models, techniques and applications. Elsevier.
• Terlecki, P., Xu, F., Shaw, M., Kim, V., & Wesley, R. (2015, May). On improving user response times in Tableau. In Proceedings
of the 2015 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data (pp. 1695-1706).
• Waese, J., & Provart, N. J. (2016). The Bio-Analytic Resource: Data visualization and analytic tools for...