1. Find the simple interest on a $400 investment made for 5 years at an interest rate of 7%/year. What is the accumulated amount?
2. If the accumulated amount is $3,720 at the end of 3 years and the simple rate of interest is 8%/year, what is the principal?
3. Find the accumulated amount A if the principal P = $2,000 is invested at the interest rate of r = 6% per year for t = 6 years, compounded annually.
4. Find the accumulated amount A if the principal P = $11,000 is invested at the interest rate of r = 5% per year for t = 5.5 years, compounded quarterly.
5. Determine the simple interest rate at which $1,500 will grow to $1,550 in the 8 months. Round your answers to the nearest tenth of percent.
6. Find the present value of $40,000 due in 4 years at the given rate of interest 8%/year compounded monthly.
7. In order to help finance the purchase of a new house, the Abdullahs have decided to apply for a short-term loan (a bridge loan) in the amount of $140,000 for a term of 1 mo. If the bank charges simple interest at the rate of 12%/year, how much will the Abdullahs owe the bank at the end of the term?
8. The Kwans are planning to buy a house 6 years from now. Housing experts in their area have estimated that the cost of a home will increase at a rate of 6%/year during that period. If this economic prediction holds true, how much can the Kwans expect to pay for a house that currently costs $160,000?
9. The manager of a money market fund has invested $4.2 million in certificates of deposit that pay interest at the rate of 5.4%/year compounded quarterly over a period of 5 years. How much will the investment be worth at the end of 5 years?
10. Find the effective rate corresponding to nominal rate 6% / year compounded monthly. Round the answers to the nearest hundredth of percent.
11. Find the interest rate needed for an investment of $4,000 to grow to an amount of $5,000 in 4 yr if interest is compounded continuously. Please round the answer to the nearest hundredth of percent.
12. Anthony invested a sum of money 6 yr ago in a savings account that has since paid interest at the rate of 7%/year compounded quarterly. His investment is now worth $19,713.77. How much did he originally invest? Please round the answer to the nearest cent.
13. Georgia purchased a house in 1998 for $220,000. In 2003 she sold the house and made a net profit of $50,000. Find the effective annual rate of return on her investment over the 5-yr period. Please round the answer to the nearest tenth of percent.
14. Find the amount of an ordinary annuity of 10 yearly payments of $1,800 that earn interest at 10% per year, compounded annually.
15. Robin, who is self-employed, contributes $4,000/year into a Keogh account. How much will he have in the account after 15 years if the account earns interest at the rate of 6.5%/year compounded yearly?
16. If a merchant deposits $1,500 annually at the end of each tax year in an IRA account paying interest at the rate of 10%/year compounded annually, how much will she have in her account at the end of 25 years? Round your answer to two decimal places.
17. Find the present value of an ordinary annuity of $600 payments each made quarterly over 5 years and earning interest at 4% per year compounded quarterly.
18. Juan invested $24,000 in a mutual fund 5 years ago. Today his investment is worth $34,616. Find the effective annual rate of return on his investment over the 5-year period.
19. Find the amount of an ordinary annuity for 5 years of quarterly payments of $2,200 that earn interest at 4% per year compounded quarterly.
20. Find the present value of the ordinary annuity. Please round the answer to the nearest cent.$2,000 per semiannual period for 7 yr at 12%/year compounded semiannually