Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you
have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will
reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your
responses. Reference the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
In this discussion, you will evaluate a research question and
determine how that question might best be analyzed. To do this, you
will need to identify the appropriate application of course specified
statistical tests, examine assumptions and limitations of course
specified statistical tests, and communicate in writing critiques of
A researcher wishes to study the effect of a new drug on blood
pressure. Consider and discuss the following questions as you respond:
- Would you recommend using a z-test, a t-test, or an ANOVA for the analysis? Explain your answer.
- What would your choice of test depend on? For the test you select, explain your design and your comparison groups.
- Would the hypothesis be directional or non-directional?
- Would the test be one-tailed or two-tailed?
- What would be the null and what would be the alternative hypothesis?
Guided Response: Review your classmates’ posts.
Respond to at least three of your classmates. Do you agree or disagree
with the test selected by your peer? How does the number of groups
being compared affect the statistical analysis? What suggestions would
you make for change or improvement? Why would these suggestions
potentially be more useful?