Essay 2: Literature Review - 1200 words minimum, 25% of final grade
Rhetorical Situation - You are writing for a general audience that you would like to educate about relevant issues.
Earlier this month on 3/4/2020, you wrote a cause and effect essay that discussed one of the topics below.
- The causes of homelessness in your community.
- The effects of stress on students in high school or college.
- The effects of not keeping a personal budget.
- Why some people don't bother to vote in local or national elections.
You later participated in a “think tank” and posted a summary of your group’s ideas on these issues. This can be found in the discussion forum on D2L. Let’s continue building on the conversation. Write an essay that reviews the published research on the topic. Search for scholarly articles, books, and other sources relevant to this topic. Describe, summarize, objectively evaluate and clarify these sources.
- Why did you choose this topic and what makes it relevant?
- Evaluate the credibility of the sources.
- What stances or positions do the sources identify?
- What kind of evidence is presented in each source?
- Compare and contrast the sources’ claims and evidence.
- A minimum of five sources is required.
You will analyze and synthesize the ideas of several authors and demonstrate their relationship to your own emerging position.
Do I need a work cited page?
Yes. You will be citing from your sources and will need to list each essay or other source that you quote from, paraphrase, or summarize in your work cited page. Make appropriate use of the full array of devices for MLA citation: attributive lead-in phrases, quotation marks, in-text parenthetical references, and a listing of every source on the work cited page. Please ask if you have any questions about citation and remember that all essays will go through the Turnitin Originality Check in the D2L (eLearning) Dropbox.