The Implicit Association Test (IAT) is a popular and respected method for measuring implicit attitudes and beliefs. Take a test of your choosing, and respond to the following questions regarding your experience.
Write an essay of 750-1,000 words on your experience with the Implicit Association Test (IAT), located on the Project Implicit website; see the attached document under the assignment tab for further directions. Include the following:
- Describe which test you took and your results.
- Discuss if your results surprise you. Why or why not?
- Interpret the results. Do you think they are valid for you personally?
- Reflect on the results of your test and your own implicit bias, briefly explain the causes of prejudicial attitudes and discriminatory behaviors you may have seen in others. Do you see similarities or difference between your bias and others potential bias.
- Consider the overall validity of the IAT. Do you think this test is a valid and reliable measure of implicit bias? Use scholarly research to back up your claims in this section.
Use two to four scholarly resources, for this assignment the textbook can count as a scholarly source.
When writing in APA style, it is important that your analysis is written in third person. Writing in third person helps with clarity and conciseness throughout your paper. However, some instances writing in first person is acceptable and should be used sparingly. Solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines.
Explanation & Answer
Running Head: BENCHMARK-IMPLICIT PREJUDICE
Otherwise identified as the Implicit Association Test, IAT is a universal recognized test
plan that evaluates implicit behavior and attitude (Karpinski & Hilton, 2001). The website has a
variety of tests to choose from. However, I did two diverse tests, one on racial bias and the other
one on gender bias. Throughout the two tests, I was subjected to the category of what they
wanted. For instance, while carrying out the racial bias test, I was required to classify images of
white people and black people as either good or bad. Initially, it had me classify white people in
the good fragment and the black people images in the bad fragment. Additionally, the test had
me connect black individuals with positive words and white individuals with negative words.
Finally, the test further had me link black individuals with negative words and put them in the
bad section while the white individuals would ...