1. What percentage of Americans dream of starting a business?
2. “Baby boomers” is the term used for Americans born in:
A) Late 1930’s – 1940’s
B) Mid 1940’s – early 1960’s
C) C Early 1930’s
E) Early 1920’s
3. What was the increase in Benchmark Capital’s investment of $5 million in eBay?
A) 700-fold in two years
B) 4000-fold in two years
C) 300-fold in two years
D) 1500-fold in two years
E) 30-fold in two years
4. What percent of GDP did venture capital backed companies generated in 2008?
5. The stock market collapse that led to the Great Depression occurred in what year?
6. By 2011, what percentage of the world’s population had become Internet users?
7. What percent of American, four-year colleges have courses in entrepreneurship?
8. How much does the Bayh-Dole Act contribute annually to the US economy?
A) D)$32 billion
B) E)$40 billion
C) A)$300 million
D) B)$950 million
E) C)$12 billion
9. How many business incubators were in the US in 2006?
10. How much new VC money was committed in 1975?
A) $145 million
B) $430 million
C) $930 million
D) $10 million
E) $45 million
11. Which term is used to describe business churning?
A) Creative destruction
B) Making the butter
C) Artificial evolution
D) Business expansion
E) Evolving transition
12. What was the primary objective of the Bayh-Dole Act?
A) Support for young entrepreneurs
B) All of the above
C) Commercial development of intellectual property
D) Investment of pension funds in venture capital companies
E) Gender equality among entrepreneurs.
13. What percent of the executives downsized in the 1980’s and 1990’s started their own businesses?
14. According to the GEM model, how many sets of activities create the basis for national economic growth?
15. What percent of the workforce did Fortune 500 companies employ in 1960’s?
16. Which software application was the predecessor to the Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet?
B) Microsoft Excel
C) Financial Works
17. According to the survey cited in this chapter, which of the following was not one of the most important innovations since 1980?
A) Cell phones
B) Personal computers
C) The Internet
D) Digital imagery
18. Who reasoned that capitalism would be inevitably destroyed by elites?
19. What does SBIR stand for?
A) Speaker Boundary Interference Response
B) Small Business Innovation Research
C) Savings, Brokerage, and Investment Reserve
D) Small Business Interest Rate
E) Space Based Infra Red
20. What percentage of new business ventures typically survive their first five years of operation?
21. What was the world’s largest corporation in 2012?
A) Southwest Airlines
B) General Motors
22. Which of the trends below converged to spark the Internet revolution of the 1990’s?
A) Personal Computers, Modems, and Floppy Disks
B) Venture Capital, Biotechnology, and Telecommunications
C) Digital Technology, Information Technology, and Entrepreneurship
D) Entrepreneurship, Venture Capital, and Computer Software
E) Personal Computers, Cell Phones, and Laser Printing
23. How much do informal investors contribute to startup businesses annually?
A) $100 billion
B) $12 billion
C) $50 billion
D) $67 billion
E) $86 billion
24. Which of the following industries was the prime example of venture capital fueling the pace of commercial innovation?
A) All of the Above
C) Personal Computers
25. At the turn of the 20 th century, about 50% of US workers worked in either the agricultural or the domestic service spheres. Approximately 100 years later that percentage had decreased to which of the following figures?