Write a paper discussing the overlap of crime, punishment, and poverty. In your paper, please explain the
following five core arguments made by the authors:
1. Criminal sanctions and victimization work to form a system of disadvantage that perpetuates
stratification and poverty.
2. Punishment impacts individuals convicted of felonies, as well as their families, peer groups,
neighborhoods, and racial group.
3. After controlling for population differences, African Americans are incarcerated approximately seven
times as often as Whites.
4. Variation in criminal punishment is linked to economic deprivation.
5. As the number of felons and former felons rises, collateral sanctions play an ever-larger role in racial
and ethnic stratification, operating as an interconnected system of disadvantage.
Crime, Punishment and Poverty
Some people may see crime and poverty as two different social problems yet they interweave
within our society. We will discuss the overlap of crime, punishment and poverty. We will
discuss five main topics that will include;
1. criminal sanctions and victimization...