PHYS 153 Missouri Baptist National Severe Storms Laboratory Discussion Paper 7

User Generated

Gnzznhyn001

Science

PHYS 153

Missouri Baptist University

PHYS

Description

This post has three parts, be sure you respond to all three parts and label a, b, c:

a) How frequently does lightning strike the ground in the United States? (site your sources)

b) What are the chances of being struck by lightning? (site your sources)

c) About how many people who are struck by lightning are actually killed?

You must respond to two other student posts in the class. Be sure to post your sources.

Use these guidelines in your post:

Reference your response as DBP #7 Your opinion is appropriate in the response. When using another weblink as a source please site the URL address, additional sources and use of your text are encouraged. You will receive a zero if you plagiarize another student's work. You must respond in complete sentences (minimum of three and more preferred for each question) with correct grammar and spelling. Refer to the rubric for grading found in the syllabus.

Unformatted Attachment Preview

Example 1 A: According to The National Severe Storms Laboratory, lightning strikes the ground in the United States approximately 25 million times per year (Severe Weather 101- Lightning, n.d.) B: According to The National Severe Storms Laboratory, if you have a life span of approximately 80 years, the chances of being struck by lightening are 1 in 15,300 (Severe Weather 101- Lightning, n.d.). C: According to The National Weather Service, approximately 49 people die every year in the United States from lightening. There are hundreds of survivors per year also. Survivors often suffer from life long neurological issues ( Lightening Victims, n.d.). Example 2 A) per the https://www.nssl.noaa.gov/education/svrwx101/lightning/faq/ (Links to an external site.) website lighting strikes about 25 million times per year. B)https://www.nssl.noaa.gov/education/svrwx101/lightning/faq/ (Links to an external site.)also states that the chance of a person getting struck by lightning is one in 1.2 million people. C)https://www.weather.gov/safety/lightning-odds (Links to an external site.) per this website it states that a lightning strike can result in a Cardiac arrest at the time of the injury. Also, according to NWS Storm data over the last 30 years, the U.S averaged 43 reported lightning fatalities per year. Only 10% of people who are struck by lightning are killed, leaving 90% with various degrees of disabilities. (2008-20019) with in the last 10 years, the U.S has averaged 27 lightning fatalities.
Purchase answer to see full attachment
User generated content is uploaded by users for the purposes of learning and should be used following Studypool's honor code & terms of service.

Explanation & Answer

Attached.

Running head: DBP #7

1

DBP #7
Institutional affiliation
Name
Date

DBP #7

2
DBP #7

A: According to the information given by the National Severe Storms Laboratory (NSSL),
research done in 1989 by lightning detection network (NLDN) and did a coverage of the entire
continental US. According to their findings, they detected cloud-to-ground flashes of
approximately...


Anonymous
Great content here. Definitely a returning customer.

Studypool
4.7
Trustpilot
4.5
Sitejabber
4.4