For your Final Project, you will complete an analysis of a public or community health problem that is formatted in either an eight to ten page paper or a ten to twelve slide PowerPoint presentation (not including title and references pages/slides). Your Final Project should demonstrate an understanding of the reading assignments, and class discussions, as well as your own research and application of new knowledge. It must contain the following:
1. Identify a population-based public/community health problem in your county and/or state. Your selection could be based on one of the following:
a. Cultural/ethnic group (e.g. Native Americans, Russians, Latinos, Black Americans, etc.) b. A disease/disability group (e.g. diabetics, persons with A.I.D.S. (P.W.A.), people with Multiple Sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, etc.) c. Health coverage category (e.g. Medicare, Medicaid, state run healthcare programs, Women, Infants, Children [W.I.C.] etc.) 2. Provide a description of your selected health problem.
3. Obtain epidemiology/demographic data from your local county and/or state health department that documents the problem, provides parameters, and defines/illustrates the scope of the problem.
4. Research, identify, and describe a minimum of four resources that are currently available or that provide services to/for your selected group. These may include programs or agencies that provide specialized services, interventions, or grant monies. Describe the programs and discuss how their availability or existence is communicated to the selected population group.
5. Identify and discuss the barriers to solving your selected public/community health problem in terms of the following:
a. Services needed b. Access c. Communication challenges d. Regulatory/political issues e. Inter-agency scope of delivery and care f. Financing/economics/budgetary issues g. Population/human impact 6. Identify and discuss the major stakeholders who would be involved in solving your public/community health problem. Are there any agencies with conflicting agendas and/or crossovers of service provision?
7. Based on your analysis, make three recommendations to solve your identified problem. Provide data and references to support and lend credibility to your recommendations. The Final Paper:
1. Must be eight to ten double-spaced pages in length, excluding title and reference pages, and should be formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. 2. Must include a title page with the following:
a. Title of paper b. Student’s name c. Course name and number d. Instructor’s name e. Date submitted3. Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement. 4. Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought. 5. Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis. 6. Must use at least six scholarly sources, not including the textbook. 7. Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. 8. Must include a separate reference page, formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. The PowerPoint Presentation:
1. Must be 10 to 12 slides (excluding title and reference slides). 2. Must include a title slide with the following: a. Title of presentation b. Student’s name c. Course name and number d. Instructor’s name e. Date submitted 3. Must use at least six scholarly sources, not including the textbook. 4. Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. 5. Must include a separate reference slide, formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. 6. Must include detailed speaker notes for each slide.
7. In addition to the presentation, please submit a Word document containing the same information as the title slide. This document will be used for your instructor to provide you with feedback regarding your work. Submit this file along with the presentation in the assignment dropbox.