According to French and Raven there are 5 bases for power: Reward power, coercive power,expert power, legitimate power and referent power. As a parent or grandparent you have the advantage of having all five.For example when my granddaughter comes to visit she knows
1. she will be rewarded: gifts, clothes, money, affection
2. possible scolding if she does something very naughty
3. she is shown how to write numbers, the best way to catch a ball etc.
4. Obviously she accepts as legitimate any requests or orders
5. Obviously she admires and wants to do things that I can do bit she can't
15 Million Students Helped!
Sign up to view the full answer