Interview Report Assignment
In the assignment you will select and interview a current IS/IT professional and submit a written report of the
interview. The purpose of the assignment is for you to learn more about an IS/IT career from someone actually
working in the field.
Choosing the Professional
The professional can be anyone who is currently employed in the IS/IT field and has
at least one year of work experience in IS/IT. This would include (but is not limited
to) positions such as a CIO, database administrator, network administrator, programmer, systems analyst,
network manager, web developer, web master, etc. A private company or a public/government/agency may
employ these professionals. You may interview a friend, family member or colleague, but you cannot
interview yourself! You must include the professional’s name, title/position, employer/organization and
contact information including phone number and email address in your written report. I reserve the right to
contact the professional in regards to the interview.
Preparing for the Interview
You will need to prepare for the interview. It is not something you can do at the last minute.
The following are suggestions for preparing for the interview:
• Identify an IS/IT professional to interview given the above criteria.
• Ask the professional to participate (you may have to ask more than one before you get a yes!).
• Explain what you are doing and why you are doing it. Share what you intend to learn from the
interview (not “because I have to for school”).
• Make sure the professional has time to talk with you. This usually requires contacting people ahead of
time and making appointments for times when they will be free to talk with you. This is particularly
important if you intend to interview someone when they are at work.
• Be prepared - have your questions ready and take notes or use a tape recorder to collect your
• Be professional – be on time and keep to the time limit.
Questions to Ask
1. What is your current position/title?
2. What is your educational background (degrees/certificates/etc.)?
3. What did you do before your current position?
4. How long have you been in your current position?
5. Did your education adequately prepare you for your current position?
6. What are your duties in this position?
7. What is a typical workday like?
8. What do you like best about this position?
9. What do you like least about this position?
10. Where do you see yourself professionally in one year and five years?
11. What recommendations do you have for a student pursuing a career in IS/IT?
12. You must include at least another 3 – 5 additional questions of your own.
Written Report Requirements
• Your written report must include the following
• Cover page (including your name / date / instructor name / course, section and title of assignment)
• A brief (1 – 2 paragraphs) overview of the interview including the date, time, duration and location of
the interview and the professional’s name, position/title, employer/organization and contact
information (phone number and email address)
• 2 – 4 pages summary of the interview addressing all questions/answers
• A brief (1 – 2 paragraphs) reflection including your thoughts on the interview (what was learned, has
your view of IS/IT changed, etc.)
• Note: Must submit 1 word document through BlackBoard assignment.
• Multiple documents or documents in other formats will not be accepted!
• Interviews without contact information of the Interviewee, will receive a zero.
Purchase answer to see full