Cite pages in the novel. If you handwrite your answers, make
sure they are legible. One paragraph or so per question.
1. How long did it take you to figure out the special
meaning of “donor”, “carer” and “completed”? Why do you think the novel is set
in the 1990’s?
2. Why do you that Ishiguro has Kathy address the reader as
if they were future donors? How does that affect your reading of the novel?
3. How do you imagine Hailsham to be different from other
private boarding schools? Why does its curriculum attempt to enrich the
students? How might it be different from other “schools” for future donors?
4. How are Tommy’s personality traits somewhat different
from the other main characters?
5. How well does Madame interact with the children?