Time remaining:
BIOLOGY GENETICS APPLICAZTION

label Biology
account_circle Unassigned
schedule 1 Day
account_balance_wallet $5

Having a hard time with understanding how to approach this question. In garden peas,long stems are dominant to short stems, and yellow seeds are dominant to green seends. 100 long yellow pea plants all of which had one short/green parent, are interbred. 1600 progeny result. please answer the followingquestions. a. HOW MANY LONGGREEN PLANTS WOULDYOU EXPECT IN OFF SPRING? B. WHAT RATIO OF YELLOW TO GREEN SEED COLOR WOULDYOU EXPECT AMONMGTHE OFFSPRING? C. WHAT WOULD YOU EXPECT THE OVERALL PHENOTYPIC RATIO AMONG THE 1600 OFFSPRING TO BE? LOOKING FOR HOW TO APPROACH NOT JUST ANSWERS ....LOST
Oct 23rd, 2017

a. You would expect 300 long/green plants. 

Since each of the long/yellow parent plants had a short/green parent, they are all heterozygous for both genes.

 At each gene, there is a 25% chance of offspring being homozygous dominant, 25% homozygous recessive, and 50% heterozygous (which will have the dominant phenotype).

 You're looking for long/green offspring. There is a 75% chance that any offspring will have the long phenotype and a 25% chance they will have the green phenotype.

 Since you assume the genes are unlinked, you can multiply these probabilities together to get 3/16, which leads to 300 out of the 1600 progeny. 

b. You would expect a 3:1 ratio because yellow is dominant to green and thus the heterozygotes would have the yellow phenotype.


Sep 28th, 2014

Studypool's Notebank makes it easy to buy and sell old notes, study guides, reviews, etc.
Click to visit
The Notebank
...
Oct 23rd, 2017
...
Oct 23rd, 2017
Oct 23rd, 2017
check_circle
Mark as Final Answer
check_circle
Unmark as Final Answer
check_circle
Final Answer

Secure Information

Content will be erased after question is completed.

check_circle
Final Answer