The success of a product or a company in the marketplace is highly dependent on the target markets ability to distinguish a given product from another. One way this is accomplished is through branding. When it comes to branding, companies must make complex decisions that will have a prolonged effect on the perception of the product and company in the marketplace. In this discussion, you will discuss product placements based on brand name marketing in the film industry
Product placement deals have been a common practice in the film industry for quite some time, but the focus on placing popular brands in movies and television shows was never as important as it is today. To execute this Discussion, watch one of your favorite television shows or a recent popular movie and discover a brand of a product that is featured in the plot of the story. Pay close attention, sometimes it can be tricky to identify a popular brand being featured if your mind is not consciously looking for it.
Directions to complete this Discussion:
- Read Chapter 10 in your textbook to understand how companies make branding decisions.
- Click here to understand marketing uses of branding. Click here to download the transcript.
- Watch the following video segment on the Tom Peters website (Tom Peters Company ©1999-2014) to supplement your understanding of product branding: Brand, Design, and Differentiation by Tom Peters-Filmed by BVO 2009.
Used by permission of Tom Peters. See www.tompeters.com for additional information.
In 200 words or more, answer the following questions:
- Identify the television show or recent movie you watched, and introduce the brand of a consumer product that you found was featured in the plot of the story.
- Discuss the type of consumer product (convenience, shopping, specialty, unsought) you identified in the plot of the story. Explain your answer.
- Discuss how the television show or movie increases or decreases the brand equity of the product.
- Describe the brand strategy of the product you identified within the plot of the story.
Directions for the Discussion
To obtain full credit for this assignment, you must answer the available question as thoroughly as possible. Your answer should be thoughtful and composed using complete sentences. Please follow the Discussion Board guidelines as provided in your Syllabus.
Be sure to comment on at least two of your classmates' posts. Your comments should be substantial and well-reasoned. Just agreeing with comments of another student does not fulfill this requirement.
Lamb, C. W., Hair, J. F., & McDaniel, C. (2014). MKTG7. Mason, OH: Cengage.