Assignment 1: Yahoo and Amazon: Building a Competitive Advantage
Required Text: ***Hill, C., & Jones, G. R. (2013). Strategic Management: An integrated approach (10th ed.). Independence, KY: Cengage***
Case 21 “How Amazon.com became the leading online retailer by 2011”,
and Case 23 “Is Yahoo!’s business model working in 2011?” located in the
textbook to complete this assignment.
Write a six to eight (6-8) page paper in which you:
- Describe, in brief, the histories of both of Amazon.com and Yahoo.com, and determine the core business of each.
the key strategic differences that have impacted the relative success
of both Amazon.com and Yahoo.com. Provide two (2) specific examples of
such strategic differences to support the response.
and contrast the approach to strategic planning that each company has
pursued in order to achieve a competitive advantage. Focus specifically
on both intended and emergent strategies.
the manner in which each company’s distinctive competencies help to
shape the strategies that each company pursues. Provide a rationale to
support the response.
one (1) functional level strategy for each company which prescribes the
essential ways in which each may achieve superior efficiency, quality,
innovation, and customer responsiveness. Provide a rationale to support
- Use at least three (3) quality references. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with
one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA
or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional
a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s
name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover
page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze the role of a company mission, vision, and objectives and the impact to business strategy.
- Describe strategic planning techniques used to formulate alternative strategies designed to achieve stated business goals.
the external and internal environment for opportunities, threats,
strengths, and weaknesses that impact the firm’s competitiveness.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in strategic management.
- Write clearly and concisely about strategic management using proper writing mechanics.