3 characteristics of intellectual disability (ID) that might affect a student's social interaction
1. Below average IQ level (70-75) limits social interaction as the person may not understand difficult words, jokes, motives/ motivation of others
2. Inability to cope with everyday problems- putting on clothes, eating, going to toilet, so on. These problems might be serious for the concerned person, taking up a lot of time and limiting contact time and opportunities.
3.Age above 18 makes the person less adaptable, less able o learn and also there are additional adolescence problems which the person is unaware of, but others notice.
Strategies include :
1. teaching such persons in a different group while still having contact in common activities (watching movies or events together)
2. A socially responsible and helpful student as a chaperon. Parents might also come to classes to support and encourage the child.
3. Practicing techniques to deal with common problems listed in 2 above with parental involvement and support
Content will be erased after question is completed.