Assignment 1: LASA II—Disorders of Sensory and Perceptual Systems
Throughout this course, you have looked at all of the sensory and perceptual systems in the human body. One subject not discussed to a large degree is disorders of the sensory and perceptual systems.
Using the module readings, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, research sensation and perception disorders. Based on your research, do the following:
- Imagine you are teaching your peers about the disorders of the sensory and perceptual systems.
- Select one sensation or perception disorder (such as sensory processing disorder, anosmia, apperceptive visual agnosia, glaucoma, verbal auditory agnosia, or developmental dyslexia resulting from auditory processing deficit).
- Using at least two peer-reviewed journal articles discussing the disorder you have selected, develop a presentation to provide an overview of the disorder. Explain the following points in the presentation:
- Sensory system affected by the disorder—including the specific physiological structures that are affected
- Perceptual processing affected by the disorder
- Analysis of the disorder from both top-down and bottom-up perspectives
- The more appropriate approach for viewing this disorder—top-down or bottom-up
- Etiology of the disorder
- Coping strategies and treatment, if any
- Related and/or co-occurring disorders
- Psychological impact of the disorder (outside of the perceptual deficit)
- Be sure to include the following in your presentation:
- A title slide
- A slide with references
- Detailed speaker notes to accompany each slide to further discuss the topics
Develop an 8–10-slide presentation in PowerPoint format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M5_A1.ppt.
By Monday, October 10, 2016, deliver your assignment to the M5: Assignment 1 Dropbox.
|Assignment 1 Grading Criteria|
|Applied at least two peer-reviewed journal articles to the presentation.|
|Explained the sensory system affected, including the specific physiological structures affected.|
|Explained the perceptual processing affected.|
|Analyzed the disorder from both the top-down and bottom-up perspectives, indicating which perspective is most appropriate in viewing the disorder.|
|Detailed the etiology of the disorder.|
|Evaluated the coping strategies and treatment methods, or gave evidence that no treatment is available.|
|Summarized related and/or co-occurring disorders.|
|Explored the psychological impact of the disorder (outside of the perceptual deficit).|
Explanation & Answer
Let me know where you need further help.
THE SENSORY PROCESSING DISORDER.
SENSATION AND PERCEPTION DISORDERS.
In light of new inventions and developments in the health sector, researchers and
medical practitioners have made major contributions regarding diseases, their
symptoms, and treatment. Among some reasons for the increase and advancement in
both frequency and complexity of illness can be attributed to technology,
environmental pollution and lifestyle changes particularly in the food sector.
However, some diseases have not acquired as much attention as they deserve. An
example of such diseases are the visual and perception conditions. Individuals have
not yet realized the extent and severity of which these conditions impact their lives
and especially the sensory processing disorder.
• The sensory processing disease (SPD), is a disorder that affects the normal or
regular processing and conduction of signals, (Miller, L). It is also referred to as
sensory integration dysfunction The organs responsible for conducting signals and
issuing responses fail to detect signals and impulses thus delaying the process of
reaction. SPD includes sensory modulation, sensory discrimination, posturalocular disorders and dyspraxia.
SENSATION AND PERCEPTION DISORDERS.
Sensory Systems Affected.
• The sensory processing disorder affects the brain and the nervous system. The
disease affects the ability of the brain to receive and r...