Within the Discussion Forum area, write at least 200 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas:
Using 1 of the short stories assigned this week and your knowledge of food and culinary practices, answer the following:
short storie : The Cask of Amontillado" - Edgar Allen Poe
- List and explain 1 symbol that you think is important to the outcome of the story. What does the symbol represent?
- Next list 1 symbol from the culinary world used in recipes, restaurant logos, cooking practices, or holiday food traditions and then explain what the symbol represents.
Examples of symbolism:
- The Starbuck's logo is a siren. The siren from mythology represents obsession and addiction.
- Baklava (Greek dessert) has 33 layers of filo that represent the 33 years of the life of Jesus.
- The practice of eating lentils for New Year for luck. Since lentils look like tiny coins they are symbolic of wealth.
Explanation & Answer
2. Symbolism in literature- The Cask of Amontillado
3. Symbolism in the culinary world- The food safe sign
Symbolism refers to the concept of using symbols to represent qualities and ideas giving
meanings that do not make literal sense (literarydevices.net, par 1). Symbolism is all about
representation to give a deeper or different meaning which is more significant. Sym...