- There are approximately 400 billon stars in the galaxy. With as many as 500 billion galaxies in the Universe, it is almost impossible to count how many stars are there in the Universe.
- Stars are made out of dust clouds scattered throughout the space. The turbulence within these dust clouds gives rise to knots which later on develop mass, allowing gas and dust to collapse. While this cloud collapses, the object that is present at the center starts to heat up. This hot core becomes a star later on.
- The stars do not twinkle. In fact it is the turbulence in the sky that makes the stars appear that they are blinking.
- The closest star to Earth is Proxima Centauri. It is located about 4.2 light-years away from the Earth.
- There are many different colors of stars. There are red, white, as well as blue stars. Hot stars give away blue lights and cool stars look white.
- The sun is the smallest star. It is referred as a G2 yellow dwarf star. Most other stars are red dwarfs.
- Betelgeuse is about 20 times the mass of the Sun and it’s 1,000 times larger than the Sun. The largest known star is the monster VY Canis Majoris. This star is believed to be 1,800 times the size of the Sun!!
- It seems that most stars are out there by themselves, but they are actually in pairs. These are the binary stars. Some stars appear in 3, 4 and more numbers, creating a beautiful system in the sky.
- The bigger the star, the shorter is its life. This is true because larger stars consume their energy at a much faster rate than the smaller ones.
- Eta Carinae which is thought to be the most massive star has been around for a few million years only. And Sun which is the smallest of all the stars has been burning bright for billions of years and will continue to do so for many more years.
- When you look at stars you are literally look back in time. This is because the light from the star takes millions of years to reach the Earth. When you look at any star, you are actually looking how it looked thousands of years ago.
Nov 8th, 2014
Studypool's Notebank makes it easy to buy and sell old notes, study guides, reviews, etc.
Click to visit
May 24th, 2017
Mark as Final Answer
Unmark as Final Answer
Content will be erased after question is completed.