1. "Analysis via Pivot Tables" Please respond to the following:
- Describe a situation where pivot tables could be used to aid a business decision. Specify the question / problem management needs to resolve, and explain the manner in which the pivot table results will provide a solution. You may use one (1) of the homework exercises as a basis for your response, or a company with which you are familiar.
2. "Macro Efficiency Please respond to the following:
- Describe a situation in a work environment where the use of macros would improve efficiency in processing data in Excel. Identify the likely challenge(s) you would face in developing the macros, and suggest a plan for addressing the challenge.
3. "Navigating QuickBooks" Please respond to the following:
4. "Fair Value Accounting Under IFRS" Please respond to the following:
- From the e-Activity, in terms of which takes precedence and provides the most information, evaluate the potential interaction of IFRS13 fair value measurement with other IFRS fair value measurement standards. Create an argument for the increased disclosure requirements under IFRS 13 as compared to other IFRS standards addressing fair value measurement. Provide support for your argument.
- Examine the main problems that an entity may encounter, and determine the highest and best use for fair value measurements under IFRS 13. Identify and provide alternative recommendations that can be used for determining fair value of assets when active markets are not available.
5. "Asset Impairments: The Recession of 2008-2009" Please respond to the following:
- From the case study, compare the disclosure notes provided in Nestle, Swatch Group, and Royal Bank of Scotland with the disclosure notes of News Corp and CBS Corporation. Explain which disclosure notes are more informative to the stakeholders in the evaluation of the financial statements.
- Contrast the difference between the impairment testing of goodwill and the impairment testing requirements for other assets. Examine the purpose of the differences identified in testing impairment of goodwill and other assets.
6. "Accounting for Pension Plans" Please respond to the following:
- From the e-Activity, create an argument for the use of the mark-to-market accounting method for pension accounting. Evaluate the impact of earnings volatility on financial reporting using mark-to-market accounting, and indicate whether or not you believe this is a fair representation of pension obligations.
- Defend the current GAAP rules for pension accounting reporting on the balance sheet and the income statement. Recommend a change you would make to the current pension accounting to more accurately reflect the future obligations of a company.
7. "General Motors" Please respond to the following:
- From the case study, assess the benefits and detriments of the U.S. Government-proposed bankruptcy plan that conserved General Motors’ liability to the United Auto Workers (UAW) pension and retiree health care fund. Indicate your agreement or disagreement with this approach. Provide support for your rationale.
- Examine the major advantages of transferring the post-retirement benefits to the UAW by General Motors. Indicate the likely impact to the company and its employees.
8. "Cyberattacks in Public Companies" Please respond to the following:
- From the e-Activity, analyze the effects of the SEC‘s data breach disclosure requirement on financial reporting, based on the current language of the requirement. Recommend a change to the disclosure requirements to strengthen public company disclosures of cyberattacks. Provide support for your rationale.
- Examine the impact of cyberattacks on potential investors in a public company. As an auditor, provide your recommendations for including the potential of a cyberattack in the 10-K, as opposed to an actual attack. Provide support for your recommendation.
9. "Koss Corporation" Please respond to the following:
- From the case study, contrast the responsibilities of the independent auditor and board of directors with the responsibilities of Koss management for the embezzlement. Indicate the party that was ultimately responsible for the embezzlement. Provide support for your rationale.
- Recommend two controls that you would establish at Koss Corporation over electronic fund transfers. Indicate how each of the recommended controls would minimize the exposure to fraud in the future. Provide support for your recommendations.