Assignment 2: Discussion—Hiring for Success
At this point in the course you should be well armed with the tools and knowledge necessary to make better-informed and rational choices. Apply that knowledge as you tackle one of the most important, and yet heavily subjective, of management responsibilities—the hiring process.
Assume you have been tasked with redesigning your organization’s hiring processes. Respond to the following:
- Select two of the six pitfalls listed below:
- Influenced by initial impressions
- Justifying past decisions
- Seeing what you want to see
- Perpetuating the status quo
- Framing the hiring decision
- Examine how you might change the process to avoid your selected pitfalls.
By Sunday, November 9, 2014, post your response to the appropriate Discussion Area. Through Sunday, November 9, 2014, review and comment on at least two peers’ responses.
Write your initial response in 300–500 words. Your response should be thorough and address all components of the discussion question in detail, include citations of all sources, where needed, according to the APA Style, and demonstrate accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation
Do the following when responding to your peers:
- Read your peers’ answers.
- Provide substantive comments by
- contributing new, relevant information from course readings, Web sites, or other sources;
- building on the remarks or questions of others; or
- sharing practical examples of key concepts from your professional or personal experiences
- Respond to feedback on your posting and provide feedback to other students on their ideas.
- Make sure your writing
- is clear, concise, and organized;
- demonstrates ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and
- displays accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Initial response was:
- Insightful, original, accurate, and timely.
- Substantive and demonstrated advanced understanding of concepts.
- Compiled/synthesized theories and concepts drawn from a variety of sources to support statements and conclusions.
Discussion Response and Participation:
- Responded to a minimum of two peers in a timely manner.
- Offered points of view supported by research.
- Asked challenging questions that promoted discussion.
- Drew relationships between one or more points in the discussion.
- Wrote in a clear, concise, formal, and organized manner.
- Responses were error free.
- Information from sources, where applicable, was paraphrased appropriately and accurately cited.