Leadership in the 21st-Century Support Systems
This assignment requires you to make connections between 21st-century support systems, specifically 21st Century Professional Development components.
As the emphasis is on professional development, consider prior
coursework that included collaboration, self-reflection, and other
components pertaining to your growth as a practitioner and how that may
contribute to student outcomes. There are several approaches you could
take with this assignment. However, it is recommended the assignment you
select to redesign includes at least one of the components found on
the 21st Century Professional Development link and listed here:
- Highlights ways teachers can seize opportunities
for integrating 21st century skills, tools, and teaching strategies into
their classroom practice — and help them identify what activities they
- Balances direct instruction with project-oriented teaching methods.
- Illustrates how a deeper understanding of subject
matter can actually enhance problem-solving, critical thinking, and
other 21st century skills.
- Enables 21st century professional learning
communities for teachers that model the kinds of classroom learning that
best promotes 21st century skills for students.
- Cultivates teachers’ ability to identify students’ particular learning styles, intelligences, strengths, and weaknesses.
- Helps teachers develop their abilities to use
various strategies (such as formative assessments) to reach diverse
students and create environments that support differentiated teaching
- Supports the continuous evaluation of students’ 21st century skills development.
- Encourages knowledge sharing among communities of practitioners, using face-to-face, virtual, and blended communications.
- Uses a scalable and sustainable model of professional development.
For example, you may redesign an instructional plan with assessment
plans embedded throughout, or a full assessment plan including a
summative assessment that demonstrates either points f or g, both
focusing on student assessment. On the other hand, you might select a
previous assignment that focused on professional collaboration and/or
PLCs and modify it to support points d, h, or i. If you do not
have previous assignments to use in this assignment, please contact your
instructor for guidelines on how to proceed
. As needed, refer to the MAED program learning outcomes (PLOs) list
as needed. Upload your assignment to the course for evaluation and to your ePortfolio (Pathbrite)
Create your assignment to meet the content and written communication expectations below.
The Redesign expectations explain what you are required to do with the
prior coursework you choose to redesign. The Summary expectations are
for the separate written portion of this assignment.
Written Communication Expectations
- Redesign – 21st Century Professional Development
(3 Points): Redesign of an instructional plan with assessment plans
embedded throughout, or a full assessment plan with a summative
assessment that includes integration of 21st Century Skills, teaching
strategies, project-oriented teaching methods, problem-solving, and
- Summary – Introduction/Conclusion (1 Point): A
one paragraph introduction to the summary that concisely presents the
scope and organization of the summary writing, as well as a one
paragraph conclusion that recaps your summary’s key points.
- Summary – Modification (1 Point): In one
paragraph, summarize the changes you made to your activity to meet the
redesign expectations for this assignment. Explicitly state how your
redesign assignment provides evidence of mastery of PLOs 5 and 7
- Summary – Reflection (1 Point): Summarize, in one
paragraph, your experience with the redesign in terms of challenges you
encountered and how you overcame those challenges.
- Page Requirement (.5 points): Two to four pages, not including title and references pages.
- APA Formatting (.5 points): Use APA formatting consistently throughout the assignment.
- Syntax and Mechanics (.5 points): Display
meticulous comprehension and organization of syntax and mechanics such
as spelling and grammar.
- Source Requirement (.5 points): References three
scholarly sources in addition to the course textbook. All sources on the
references page need to be used and cited correctly within the body of
For information related to APA style, including samples and tutorials, please visit the Ashford Writing Center.