ENGL 463 Paper 1: Social Media Analysis
NOTE – FIRST OF ALL, THE COMPANY I DECIDED TO ANALIZE AND ON WHICH YOU MUST REALIZE THIS PAPER ON IS MCDONALD 'S, SO IT SHOULD BE A VERY FUN ASSIGNMENT OVERALL! SECONDLY, YOU WILL FIND THE SAME INFORMATION, THAT I A COPIED AND PASTED BELOW, IN THE PDF THAT I ATTACHED BUT IT IS BETTER ORGANIZED AND PERHAPS EASIER TO READ THERE, SO I HOPE IT HELPS!
For one week, follow a company or organization’s social media presence on one social media platform: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Flickr, etc.
You will write up your findings as your first paper.
As you follow the social media account, take notes on the following1:
• What are the product(s)/services offered? Where are they sold/marketed? Who is the target audience?
o Be as specific as possible about audience; no product is aimed at “everyone.” Find demographic information for customers and include it.
• Give an overview of the social media presence of the company. What platforms do they use? How actively? etc. Why did they choose these social media platforms? In other words, how do these platforms help them connect with their target audience?
• Social media posts:
o Are posts appropriate for the brand? Why or why not?
o Is there interaction between the company/organization and its audience? How about between followers of the social media account?
§ Is this interaction useful? Should there be more or less interaction?
• How many followers/fans/Likes, etc. does the account have? Does this seem like a successful number to you? Why or why not?
• How could the company or organization improve its social media presence?2 Be realistic in terms of budget constraints and audience.
o Wrong answer: “there is no way they could improve.”
• Include examples in your paper (screenshots of posts, quotations from posts, etc.).
1. The bulk of this assignment is taken nearly verbatim from an assignment in the class MBA 267, Social Media Marketing, taught by Zsolt Katona at the University of California, Berkeley. I have made slight modifications.
2. Hint: compare your company/organization’s social media to that of other, similar companies/ organizations.
Some Paper 1 Advice/Information
How long should he paper be? If you’re a very, very concise writers, and most students aren’t, you might be able to do everything the assignment asks in 300-350 words. Most mortals will need more like 500 words at a minimum.
Bottom line: answer the assignment to the best of your ability, giving plenty of examples, context, and specific information. Especially if you’re writing about a company that sells some kind of niche product (a product not found in every household in the USA), don’t assume we know much or anything of what you’re talking about