Week 3 - Assignment
This week, you will analyze a neuropsychological disorder that is different from the topic you chose for your Final Project. Select a neuropsychological disorder from the following list:
- Major depressive disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Choose and focus on one of the anxiety disorders, e.g., generalized anxiety disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, social anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder)
- Substance abuse (Substance Use Disorder)
- Provide both an overview of this topic plus a focus on a single drug of your choice.
- Autism Spectrum disorder
- Specific neurological disorder
- Examples include movement disorders ( e.g., Tourette Syndrome), degenerative disorders (e.g., Alzheimer’s or other dementia), multiple sclerosis, congenital disorder (e.g., cerebral palsy, spina bifida), epilepsy syndrome, drug-induced tardive dyskinesia, and temperature regulation disorder.
- Learning disability
- Examples include Attention Deficit Disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, and Dyslexia.
- Sleep disorder
- Eating disorder
- Sexual disorder
- Other neuropsychological disorder
- This option must be approved in advance by the instructor before your assignment is submitted.
After choosing a disorder, your assignment should include an examination of the following factors as they relate to your selected disorder:
- A description of the pathological features and clinical criteria for diagnosis
- The biopsychological theories of the pathology
- Nervous system structure(s), neurotransmitter(s), receptor(s), and pathways implicated in the disorder
- Possible causes (etiology), including genetic, environmental, familial, lifestyle, and other identifiable risk factors
- Epidemiology of the disorder (demographics of those affected)
- Clinical presentation and natural history of the condition
- Potential complications (neurologic, psychiatric, and other medical or nonmedical)
- Current treatment options (pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic)
- Future directions for research and clinical management
In keeping with the focus of this class, the emphasis of your paper will be on the following neuroscience aspects of the disorder:
- Theories of etiology (causes)
- Associated factors in development of the disorder (genetic, environmental, familial, lifestyle)
- Pathology (abnormalities of physical structure and function, including genetic and biochemical aspects)
- Treatment options (pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic, with rationales for use based on current understanding of the disorder)
- Diagnostic and research technologies employed in clinical diagnosis, care, and basic science research
Your assignment must include an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement as well as a conclusion summarizing your synthesis of the above issues relating to the disorder. Your paper must be three to four double-spaced pages (excluding title and reference pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. Utilize a minimum of three to four scholarly sources that are documented in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. Your research will be used to provide references that contribute evidence-based information regarding the biologic and psychological features of the disorder. You may cite and reference your textbook and other course materials; however, these will not fulfill the resource requirement.